Sunday, May 19, 2013

Growth Makes Us Uncomfortable

It's supposed to. Anything worth doing usually involves some internal policing and stress. That's how we continue to mesh with our world in a meaningful way. For most of the year, I live in the city, a very diverse area the continues to expand my perspective. One block one way is old historical mansions. One block another way is boarded up tenements. They are all part of my milieu. One thing they have in common, at least along the sidewalks and streets is trash. And trash isn't something we venture forth every day to look for.

I used to pick it up everywhere I went, but I never got to enjoy a walk. So I came up with a solution I could live with. Since I'm the Plastic Bag Lady, I am using plastic bags as my trigger. Whenever I see an empty plastic disposable bag blowing around, I take it as a sign that I'm supposed to pick it up, fill it with trash and dispose of it. That limits my trash forays but not much! Do you know how many trash bags there are in the city? Especially a city that doesn't ban them? At least once a trip, and I walk every day, my mandate kicks in.

Sometimes, when I'm preoccupied or feeling tired or whatever, I walk by one. I usually get ten feet away before I come back and pick it up to fill. No problem doing that and when I come back home, it looks better--for at least a while. I sleep better knowing I'm doing things to help my world and make someone else's trip to the bus stop or store a little more pleasant.

No comments: